Auditions are required for all Burklyn Ballet Theatre programs. A single audition covers all programs. Virtual and in-person auditions are held throughout the United States between January and April. Students are evaluated on talent, training, performance ability, and attitude. Host an audition in your hometown! Video auditions are also accepted. Details below.
2023 Audition Cities & Dates
Join us at Burklyn Ballet for Summer 2023!
>> View our in-person 2023 Audition Tour Schedule. <<
*Please continue to check back. We are continuing to add auditions.
Host an Audition
If your school would like to host an audition at its studio, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The Hosting Process includes:
- A master class for your students conducted by a member of Burklyn Ballet’s artistic staff.
- A BBT summer program question and answer session for interested parents and students.
- The opportunity to invite outside students to your school.
- Advertisement on Burklyn’s website and social media sites.
Requirements of a Host School:
- A dance studio with a suitable dance floor, mirrors and ballet barres for the audition class and question and answer session.
- Sound system or piano and accompanist.
- Lobby space for sign-in and registration.
- Minimum 8-10 interested dancers.
- There is no cost associated with hosting an audition, but each dancer is required to pay the $35 audition fee to BBT.
To learn more, view our PROGRAM INFORMATION PDF
Each Zoom Online Audition will include an administrator, an instructor, and at least one observer. Each audition will be recorded so that they can be reviewed. The audition will consist of a full class with pointe work at the end. We will take space constraints into consideration. We will notify you of audition results within a week of the auditions. Summer enrollment will be reserved with a deposit and will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Virtual Audition / Master Class Schedule
- Ballet Durango, Sunday, February 26th @12:30pm mst. (registration begins at 12pm)
- February 26th @2:30pm est. (registration begins at 2pm)
- Academy of Arts at Januarys, Saturday, March 18th @2pm est. (registration begins at 1:30pm)
- 2023 Assistant Counselor & Counselor Audition: Email the Office for Information on how to apply!
- Sunday, March 19th @ 4pm est. (registration begins at 3:30pm)
Please continue to check back. We are continuing to add auditions.
- STEP 1 – Find a class that fits into your schedule below. Classes are limited. Registration closes 24 hours before each class.
- STEP 2 – Fill out our 2023 Online Audition Registration Form.
- STEP 3 – Make your $35 Audition/Class Fee payment using our Secure PayPal Checkout. Debit, Credit, or PayPal accepted.
- STEP 4 – You will receive your zoom code via email. Sign in 15-20 minutes before the start of the audition. Make sure that the name on your zoom matches the one on your audition application. Make sure your camera shows a full view and you can be seen clearly. Photos, bios and recommendations not required.
- STEP 5 – Enjoy class! Listen, follow instructions and ask any questions you might have!
- STEP 6 – Grab your parents and join us for a Q&A immediately following the audition for answers to your questions.
Use our secure PayPal Checkout to pay your $35 Class Fee at least 24 hours before your confirmed audition time.
If you cannot attend an Audition for Burklyn Ballet Theatre, you are welcome to submit you own video but we want to give you a chance to experience our teachers and get an idea of the atmosphere at Burklyn.
Please follow directions below and make sure that your video link is emailed to Burklyn@gmail.com or a hard copy is mailed to our New Jersey address. Please note…
Your video should not exceed 15 minutes in length. A hyperlink to your audition video hosted by an online provider is preferred (i.e. upload your audition “unlisted” on YouTube and send us a link to view).
- STEP 1 – Fill out the Online Audition Registration Form. Instead of a date for an audition, fill it in to say video.
- STEP 2 – Make your $35 audition fee payment for using our Secure PayPal Checkout.
- STEP 3 – For audition video files being sent via email or are available online… Send an email to Burklyn@gmail.com with (1) your name as it corresponds to your registration form (2) confirm that you have completed step 1 and 2 above, and (3) provide a link to your online audition video (i.e. YouTube hosted). If you prefer not to make your audition file available online, you can send an email to Burklyn@gmail.com through a free tool for sending large files, such as WeTransfer.com. Include (1) your name as it corresponds to your registration form, (2) confirm that you have completed step 1 and 2 above, and (3) attach your video file.
- STEP 3 – For audition video files being sent via a thumb drive or DVD… Please follow steps 1 and 2 and then mail a dvd or thumb drive (labeled with your name and the email address that you registered with) to Burklyn Ballet Theatre, P.O. Box 923, Denville, NJ 07834-0923.
- STEP 4 – We will send you audition results within a week of receiving you video. If you do not hear from us please contact us to confirm that we received your audition.
You can create your own combinations both at the barre and in the centre, but please try to use this format as a guideline.
START VIDEO BY STATING YOUR NAME AND AGE
- With left hand on barre: Pliés with ports de bras in 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th
- With right hand on barre: Tendu with demi pliés
- With left hand on barre: Tendu and dégagés
- With right hand on barre: Ronde de Jambe en dehors and en dedans
- With left hand on barre: Dévelopé and fondu en croix, finish with an arabesque penché on demi-pointe.
- With right hand on barre: Grande Battement en croix
- Pirouettes en dehors and en dedans
- Petit allegro
- Grand allegro
- Women pointe work: échappé, soussus, relevé passé, bourres, soutenu, châinés, piqué turns, piqué 1st arabesque OR Men’s work: batterie, grande pirouette, tour en l’air
- Ages 12 – 25
- Pre-Professional Dancer
- 3 Technique Classes/Day & Rehearsals
- Weekly Theater Performance
- 2-6 Weeks
- Ages 10 – 12
- Intermediate Dancer
- 2 Technique Classes/Day & Rehearsals
- End of Session Performance
- 2 Weeks
- Mentored Choreographer Training
- Limited to 6 Dancers
- Ages 14 and Above
- Travel to Scotland
- Perform at Festival Fringe
- Limited to 25 Dancers
- 4 Week Minimum Program Required in VT
For Virtual or Video Auditions, use our secure PayPal Checkout to pay your $35 Audition Fee. If attending a Virtual Audition, be sure to pay your fee at least 24 hours before your confirmed audition time.
City Audition attendees, please bring a $35 cash payment.
- Virtual and City Auditions begin in December. View our in-person 2023 Audition Tour Schedule.
- Let us know you are coming! Complete our 2023 Online Audition Registration Form.
- Download and complete a Program Application Form.
- Print a copy of your completed form to bring with you.
- $35 cash payment due at time of City Audition Class. Online electric payments are available for Video & Virtual Auditions.
- Photos, bios and recommendations not required.
- Arrive 30 minutes early for City Auditions.
- Class is 1.5 to 2 hours depending on attendance.
- Intermediate-Advanced Level Class.
- Includes Pointe Work and Men’s Steps.
- Intermediate Program dancers must be 10 before 01-July of the year they are attending.
- Some cities have separate Intermediate Program auditions (INT).
- If city listing does not indicate (INT) then ages 10-12 attend regular audition class.
- 12 year old dancers will be accepted into the program best suited for them.
- Dancers will be notified of acceptance by email within two weeks following the audition.
- Dancers are automatically considered for talent-based scholarships during the audition.
- Scholarship notifications are sent out throughout the audition tour by email.
- Dancers are also chosen for The Edinburgh Connection at these regular auditions (when applicable).
Burklyn Ballet Theatre offers a limited number of scholarships ranging from $100 to $500. Dancers are automatically considered for talent-based scholarships during the audition. No separate application is necessary. Scholarship notifications are sent out throughout auditions.